HEATH – A lightning strike sparked a fire that destroyed the home of Heath residents Randall and Carol Hughes last Tuesday during the thunderstorms that passed through the area.
No one was hurt but Randall Hughes said damage is estimated at about $1 million.
The fire occurred at 7 pm in the 800 block of Meadowlark Pl. when Hughes said he, his wife and son “heard a loud pop.” The electricity came back on but suddenly smoke filled the living room and they quickly ran outside. The fire then erupted. He said within five minutes their entire home was a total loss.
Everything was insured but many irreplaceable antiques were lost.
Hughes said Farmers Insurance Company has been quick to help and they are temporarily staying with friends.
The roof of the same home was also ripped off by a tornado a few years ago.
Firefighters from the Heath Department of Public Safety, the Rockwall Fire Department and the McLendon-Chisholm Volunteer Fire Department worked the fire.